Stolen Wallpaper

Words but a whisper, deafness a shout

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zeeland, Michigan, United States

Hi. I wish I had a job selling squirrels. They're so furry, and give you toothy grins. Unless they're rabid, in which case they will eat your face off and then find the rest of your family. That's not so good, I guess.

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Live Show Log, September 2016

9 4 16 Crane Wives #9 Harmony Fest, Three Rivers This one really drives home the rigors of trying to play music for a living to me. The (excellent) Tejano band before them ran way long, then came a bizarre interlude involving a kid doing a Michael Jackson impersonation, then they played for about 40 minutes, then the band after them started breathing down their necks. There was a traffic light mere feet from Emilee Petersmark's head, which was amusing. I brought Sheila, because outdoor show, but the fuzz were everywhere guarding the perimeter to keep dogs out, although there was no warning on the town website or any signs posted saying this. We found an uneasy detente, with me sitting on the sidewalk to the right of the stage in a gray area between In The Fence and Outside The Fence. Zito gave me a thumbs up. I’ll take it.
9 16 16 OVER THE RHINE Bell’s, Kalamazoo I was turned on to this band by my first “internet girlfriend” back in 2000. She was from North Carolina. Both her parents were named Tommy. It was awkward. Swooping melodies, natural instrumentation, shaggy charm. And a startling revelation: Bell’s has chairs! You better believe I will ask for one in future. overtherhine.com 

9 17 16 BELLY Vic Theatre, Chicago Belly’s second album, King, came out while my college career was imploding under the weight of my own self-doubt. I listened to it for literally two weeks, on repeat, day and night. Not sure if it fed my paranoia or soothed the jagged edges, but constant companion it certainly was. They did a reunion tour. It was glorious. I had never seen them live; the muscular rock textures applied to such delicate songwriting and melody is a winning combination. They were and are beloved to a few. Also, no one who is fifty with two kids should still have a tight little behind like that. Ahem.
9 24 16 The Verve Pipe #3 Bell’s, Kalamazoo Yeah, there’s only one original member left. Yeah, they only ever play one song from their masterpiece. But it’s the Verve Pipe. It’s, like, mandatory for west Michigan males around my age to go to these shows sometimes. And Griff is still there, the amazing lust-for-life-like-Iggy-Pop Craig Griffith. And Joel. Let Joel sing one dammit! 
9 30 16 Crane Wives #10 Mendel Center, Lake Michigan College, Benton Harbor The best sound I have ever encountered. Pin drop clarity. A faux living room set up on stage, and damn if it didn’t impart some cozy feeling. Part of a subscription series, and a few older patrons abandoned ship at half time, but overall the crowd loved it. The band seemed a bit unnerved at the quiet atmosphere, in fact they came out and stated it, but I loved it unreservedly. They told stories behind many of the songs, answered audience questions, and were just charming as hell. I think they noticed me here, and started to worry if I was stalking them. Got my CD signed. 

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home