Stolen Wallpaper

Words but a whisper, deafness a shout

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zeeland, Michigan, United States

Hi. I wish I had a job selling squirrels. They're so furry, and give you toothy grins. Unless they're rabid, in which case they will eat your face off and then find the rest of your family. That's not so good, I guess.

Wednesday, March 02, 2022

Steubenville

I went down to the diner with nothing else to do
The muck of the refinery all over my shoes
The waitress was new, someone I had not met
Her face looked like a smoked cigarette
I wanted to eat a heart attack on a plate
Let the cholesterol chase my blues away

This is a town of Chinese made American flags
This is a town half buried in plastic bags
This is a town so down the Family Dollar died
This is a one horse town with no source of pride

The waitress said that'll be twelve dollars please 
For a slab of sad pork with mac and cheese
I peeled off my last twenty, put it in her hand
And ventured off into the promised land
You can drive and drive for miles ahead 
It don't matter cuz the dinosaurs are already dead

This is a town where churches outnumber bars 
This is a town without no foreign cars
This is a town where eyes watch you walk on by
This is a town where dreams all go to die

I cashed my last paycheck at the corner store
I dropped a lottery ticket on the filthy floor
I gassed up the Impala, cranked the radio loud
Hit the gas, bit the dust as I raised a cloud
Gonna drive till the sunshine burns a hole in my face
Gonna drive far away from this forsaken place

This is a town that won't let you change your fate
This is a town where you stay till it's far too late
This is a town built on a corporate lie
This is a town where all dreams go to die

Set to music by Mike List, hopefully video forthcoming

     

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home