Stolen Wallpaper

Words but a whisper, deafness a shout

My Photo
Name:
Location: Zeeland, Michigan, United States

Hi. I wish I had a job selling squirrels. They're so furry, and give you toothy grins. Unless they're rabid, in which case they will eat your face off and then find the rest of your family. That's not so good, I guess.

Tuesday, December 26, 2017

CW Album Ideas

I was bored on Christmas Day.  So I wrote this insane missive and dropped it into the email inbox of my favorite band, the Crane Wives.  I was almost immediately horrified at my own chutzpah, and quickly sent another titled Disregard:  "You are people with jobs, not my fantasy football team.  Merry Christmas."  But.  The next time I saw him, Dan Rickabus gave me a big hug:  said he totally identified with geeking out over your favorite music, and the second email proved I was coming from a place of crazed fandom rather than entitlement.  So, here, preserved in amber.  I stand by the hybrid idea.

_________________________________________________________________________________

So.  Hiya.  Completely unsolicited ideas from your number one local schmuck.  It's been mentioned that you're considering rerecording songs from your first two albums, because of rights snafus to the original masters.  I HAD SOME THOUGHTS SURPRISE SURPRISE.  I envision this as something to be sold at shows as souvenirs, something to get people through till a new album (in 2019?) Three ways to go came to me, and they are as follows.  (I have very little else to do on actual Christmas.)

A.  RERECORDED TUNES ONLY
Pro:  maximization of renewed revenue from songs, but not recordings, you already own
Con:  longtime fans will have all this already, will be dubious of added value
I see this as a quick n' dirty session, maybe two weeks at Centennial, Dan and Ben on the boards, waking up the old songs with your new rawk sound.  Just enough difference from the old versions to hold interest for the hardcore, and a good way to get these songs into the hands of the new fan.

1. Safe Ship, Harbored 2. Shallow River 3. Strangler Fig 4. Counting Sheep 5. October 6. Hole In The Silver Lining 7. Tongues and Teeth 8. Caleb Trask 9. Show Your Fangs 10. Once And For All 11. Margaret (era appropriate, never released....hook for the old fan!) 12. New Colors 13. Easier 14. I Ain't Done

B. TRUE GREATEST HITS DISC
Pro:  shows the breadth of your whole career, minimizes time spent rerecording, adds new songs
Con:  duplication with what you already have for sale
In seven years, you have produced an impressive body of work.  This would be a bit of a victory lap till your next move becomes apparent.

1. High Horse 2. New Colors 3. Hard Sell 4. Tongues And Teeth 5. Empty Page 6. October 7.Rockslide 8. Easier 9. Down The River 10. Take Me To War 11. Strangler Fig 12. Safe Ship, Harbored 13. Once And For All 14. Volta 15. Sleeping Giants

C. HYBRID
Pro:  no duplication with current discs
Con:  leaves out the last three years
This would mix the five new songs of 2017, plus eight rerecords, plus Margaret.  I really like this idea.

1. High Horse 2. New Colors 3. Strangler Fig 4. Empty Page 5. Tongues and Teeth 6. Take Me To War 7. Show Your Fangs 8. Once And For All 9. October 10. Daydreamer 11. I Ain't Done 12. Margaret 13. Safe Ship, Harbored 14. Volta

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home